Can a hot tub really be self-cleaning?
There are so many benefits to having a hot tub and very few disadvantages. However, something that can feel like a burden is the cleaning and maintenance of a hot tub. Obviously, it’s important to make sure your hot tub is sanitary and clean so that you can enjoy it whenever you want to. And that’s much easier to achieve when you have a hot tub design that will do most of the work itself. But what does it actually mean to have a self-cleaning hot tub?
Self-cleaning systems minimise maintenance
The short answer to whether a hot tub can really self clean is: yes. Hot tub technology today has taken away a lot of the hassle when it comes to cleaning and maintenance. Self-cleaning technology means that hot tubs that have this innovation are much easier to clean and maintain than those that don’t. Some systems can filter all the water in a hot tub in just 15 minutes, significantly reducing the time you need to dedicate to ensuring that your hot tub is in great condition and always ready to use. Although self-cleaning technology doesn’t mean that the hot tub will totally take care of itself, the maintenance burden is significantly reduced. So, how does this actually work?
Examples of self-cleaning technology
- Optimised surface filtration. Some hot tubs come with a specifically designed shell as well as jets that will intentionally push any debris to the surface and a high flow skimmer and filter so that the water surface is always debris-free and clear.
- Effective surface cleaning. Another key priority in the design of a self-cleaning hot tub is to ensure that both oils and floating debris can be removed efficiently from the surface of the water to prevent the pump and heater from being clogged. This is often achieved with a high flow skimmer and pre-filter.
- Keeping the floor of the hot tub clean. It can be an arduous job to commit to repeatedly vacuuming the floor of the hot tub to keep it looking sparkling. A self-cleaning hot tub has a vacuum mechanism built in so that water care products can be effectively circulated and heavy contamination removed from the surface of the hot tub, including the floor.
- Water cleaning filters. Micro-filtration systems make it simple to achieve clean water in a hot tub in a matter of minutes. These systems are ordourless and easy to use.
- Water purification systems. If you’re looking for the most advanced hot tub self-cleaning technology then make sure your choice of hot tub has an advanced water purification system to remove contaminants. Look for those that use ozone and UV light, as these are highly effective and can reduce chemical dependency by 50%.
- A self-clean indicator. Most self-cleaning hot tubs will have a panel where you can monitor how well the self-cleaning system is working for your peace of mind.
Hot tubs really can be self-cleaning and this type of model can save you a lot of time.