The days are long, the air is warm and the sun is making much more of an appearance than it has for a long time. Summer has finally arrived and that means it’s the ideal time to get outside more. And if you are lucky enough to have a pool at home - or access to one - then this is the best moment to start really enjoying it. Because there are some very good reasons why swimming every day makes a lot of sense.
- Get active, fit and slim. Swimming is a fantastic exercise that works the whole body but does it without placing excess stress on joints and bones. You can burn around 600 calories an hour from swimming, build strength and tone muscles. It also has many benefits when it comes to improving lung capacity and flexibility, as well as building up confidence in your body and what it can do. Plus, there are so many ways to do it, from breast stroke to butterfly or even aqua aerobics.
- Cool down quickly and easily. Getting overheated can be really uncomfortable, especially if you’re spending all your time in a hot office or stuck on public transport or in traffic. The pool is a great way to quickly cool down, refresh and bring your body temperature back down.
- Feel calmer and sleep better. It can be difficult to get a good night’s sleep in the summer - and a lack of sleep will leave you feeling tense and stressed. Swimming has been found to help aid sleep in a number of different ways. The buoyancy of the water is incredibly relaxing for your body and the exercise itself will tire you out and make it easier to wind down for a restful night’s sleep. As with any activity, swimming releases a rush of endorphins and these feel good chemicals can help to break any stress cycles you might be stuck in and ease you into a good night’s rest. Plus, the colour blue has been found to have a positive impact on mental health, to lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety.
- It’s an accessible and affordable activity. If you have a pool at home then the only ongoing costs will be maintenance and you can save money on travel and costs that other activities might incur. Pools are also accessible because anyone can swim and enjoy it, from children who are learning under supervision to older adults looking for a way to be active or someone recovering from an injury.
- Be more sociable. Because everyone can use a pool, and enjoy it together, it’s a great place to connect with friends and family. Swimming is an enjoyable activity for everyone and there are lots of ways to integrate socialising around it so that you get to see more of the people you love this summer.
If there is one thing you do more of this summer, we recommend swimming. It’s good for you, sociable and has a really positive impact on overall wellbeing. As a family-operated business encompassing two generations, we have over 50 years of combined experience selling and servicing hot tubs, swim spas, pools, saunas, gazebos and steam rooms. We love what we do because we love the lifestyle that comes with owning a luxurious hot tub or swim spa. Get in contact with a member of the team today to explore our range of fantastic products.